Thursday, April 5, 2007

Gastineau Avenue Fire

On Tuesday night, while downtown having dinner with the UA Staff Alliance, I casually pointed out an apartment building on the hill and mentioned that I used to live there.

Wednesday morning, my friend Heather, who was present at the dinner, called me from downtown to tell me that my old apartment building was on fire. It was quite a drama, with civilians bringing ladders to rescue residents, and firefighters vacating the building at one point for their own safety. Fortunately no one was seriously injured, though several pets are missing.

The story is covered in our local newspaper, The Juneau Empire.

The Staff Alliance is in town for their annual visit to legislators at the State Capitol. As usual we are working to persuade our leaders to provide funding for education in our state. I am not an Alliance member this year, but it was sure nice to see everyone!

No comments: